Breakfast is often the most difficult meal of the day. In UK, one in four people skip breakfast most days, which results in eating high sugar foods throughout the morning and poor eating habits. The reason why people skip breakfast is either because they are too busy to cook, or because they cannot find anything appealing, hence my commitment to research quick and yummy recipes for my clients.
The recipe provides with 27gr of protein and 27gr of fat, while including 1 of your 5 a day. Kale is a very nutrient dense food, rich in vitamin K, essential for blood clotting, vitamin A and vitamin C. Courgettes are high in vitamin C, which support immune function and healthy skin. Ricotta and feta cheese provide protein, calcium and vitamin B12, and although not everyone can digest cheese very well (due to the lack of enzymes to break it down), if you tolerate it can be a nice addition to your diet.
These courgette nests are tasty and healthy, just make them the day before, store in an airtight container and consume within 3 days. Are great as it is or reheated in microwave. Check the substitution at the end of the recipe to make it vegetarian.
Time: 30 minutes
-200g kale, stems removed, leaves chopped (can sub for chard)
-2 courgette, peeled into ribbons
-100g bacon, sliced
-125g ricotta cheese
-60g feta cheese, crumbled
-2 green onions, chopped
-2 tbsp thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Spread the kale out on a baking tray. Wrap the courgette ribbons into 6 nests and nestle them within the kale.
- Place a layer of bacon within the courgette nests, then divide the ricotta equally between each nest. Now break an egg into the center of each nest.
- Finally, sprinkle each nest with the feta cheese, onion and thyme, then drizzle with the olive oil. Place the baking tray into the hot oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden and eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
NOTES: You can replace ricotta and feta cheese with a vegan alternative made with cashews or almonds. Instead of bacon, thinly slice half aubergine, grilled it on a hot pan, add salt, pepper and paprika.