TOFU TIKKA SKEWERS
Skewers are often a summer staple, with or without meat, but can be also cooked in the oven and enjoyed all year around. For this recipe I put an Indian spin and created a vegetarian version of the famous chicken tikka masala, but on a skewer.
The spices used are turmeric, ginger, cloves, garlic, paprika, chillies and garam masala, a powerful combination of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation is often involved in many conditions, such as eczema, arthritis, tonsillitis, cystitis and pretty much anything that ends in -itis. Inflammation is useful on the short term to fight infections, but on the long run could get us in trouble and create too much damage. When we experience chronic inflammation, is a good idea to use foods, herbs and spices that can support the body’s ability to bring it down.
Here is my recipe for a wholesome tofu tikka that will nourish the body, providing essential micronutrients and phytonutrients.
Time: 25 minutes + 2 hours to marinate tofu
– ⅔ cup (160g) natural, dairy-free yogurt (or dairy yogurt)
– 3 tbsp tomato paste
– 3 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 tbsp ginger root, grated
– 2 tsp lime juice
– 2 tsp garam masala
– 1 tsp smoked paprika
– ½ tsp ground turmeric
– ½ tsp chili powder
– 1 tsp. sea salt
– 400g block firm tofu, drained & pressed, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
– ½ medium red onion, cut into chunks
– 2 bell peppers, cut into cubes
– bamboo skewers, soaked
– 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, tomato paste, garlic, ginger, lime juice, garam masala, paprika, salt, turmeric, chili powder and salt.
- Add the tofu, onion, and bell peppers to the mixing bowl and stir gently until well coated in the spice marinade. Transfer to an airtight container and marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator (up to 24 hours).
- When ready to cook the tikka, preheat the oven to 220°C. Soak the bamboo skewers in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the marinated tofu and vegetables from the refrigerator and skewer onto 6 bamboo skewers. Alternate the tofu, pepper, and onion on the skewers. Reserve the remaining marinade.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and arrange the skewers on the sheet without them touching. Place in the hot oven to bake for 15 minutes, until starting to brown. Remove from the oven, brush with the remaining marinade, rotate and cook in the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve the skewers with wedges of lemon.
NOTES: You can adapt the recipe and use chicken pieces instead of tofu. To increase variety in your diet, rotate the type of vegetables used. Courgettes, aubergines, onions, peppers, corn and mushrooms all work really well.