An easy and very tasty recipe that is also healthy. Does it sound unachievable? Think again, because you will love this recipe! As with all my recipes, this Creamy salmon is dairy free, gluten free and packed with nutrients.
Instead of using butter or cream, I choose coconut milk instead. Although coconut is high in saturated fats, it is mostly medium chain triglycerides. This type of fat is quickly absorbed from the small intestine and used for energy. Talking about fat, salmon is a natural source of omega 3 fatty acids, which helps reduce overall inflammation in the body.
This creamy salmon is also an incredible source of protein, as one serving provides 28gr. It is ready in 20 minutes, perfect for a quick dinner idea.
Time: 20 minutes
-4 salmon fillets (approx. 130g each)
-1 white onion, diced
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-¾ cup (180ml) vegetable broth
-1 cup (150g) cherry tomatoes, halved
-1 cup (240ml) coconut milk, canned, full fat
-2 tsp Italian seasoning (or create your mix with dry rosemary, sage, oregano, basil and thyme)
-1 tsp all purpose flour
-2 cups (60g) fresh spinach, chopped
-½ cup (15g) basil leaves, chopped
-2 tbsp olive oil
-salt & pepper
- Season the salmon filets with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over a medium/high heat.
- Sear the salmon filets skin side up for 2-3 minutes. Flip the filets over and cook the other side for 3 more minutes. Once cooked, remove the filets from the skillet and set aside.
- In a separate pot, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the white onion and garlic over a medium heat, for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Ensure the coconut milk is mixed together and smooth. Then add the vegetable broth, cherry tomatoes, coconut milk and Italian seasoning to the pot with the onion. Mix well and simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, add one teaspoon of flour to the sauce and immediately whisk it into the liquid. The sauce should begin to thicken.
- Add in the chopped spinach and basil, followed by the seared salmon filets and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes until the spinach has wilted. Serve immediately.